Saturday, July 5, 2014

Crochet doesn't have to be hard. Read these 6 tips.

   If you have read my About Me section, at the top of the page, than you know that when I started learning to crochet it wasn't the easiest of starts.  However, with a few breaks and revisiting, I finally learned the art and have never back. Below are a few tricks that I have used along the way.

Tip #1: Start of in the shallow end.
  When I started I dove in the deep end. I choose a cotton yarn and a G hook. My advice is to start with at least an I hook and a more flexible yarn such as Red Heart, Vanna's, or Caron.  This will allow your stitches to be a little bigger, which will allow you to have a little wiggle room.

Tip#2: Master your stitches in stages.
  You will want to start learning the simpler stitches and work your way up to more difficult ones. When the final friend who helped me get it taught me she had me start with making chains. She refrained from showing me any other stitches until my chains looks uniform. Then she worked me up to single crochet until my swatches, or projects, looked uniform. Once I was good there she showed me double crochet and from there I was pretty good to go.

Tip#3: Learn stitch abbreviations.
  Written Patterns use short hand. This is to help keep the length of the pattern down. Learning what these abbreviations mean will help get you through the pattern easier. While most of the patterns you see have a key at the top with this info, it may be helpful to keep a stitch guide, with written and pictured instructions of the structure of stitches, close by until you get the hang of different stitches.

Tip#4: Learn stitch symbols & graphs.
  Not all patterns are written in words. Some are drawn using symbols. These symbols are arranged in the way the pattern will be worked, either in the round or in rows. Symbols can scare artisans but if you know what each of those symbols mean then you will be able to work them us just like a written pattern.

Tip#5: Start with simpler patterns.
  There are so many beautiful, intricate patterns that entice and inspire us. They tempt and real us in. They are the reason we want to crochet.  But as a beginner you will want to stick to basic patterns. Working on simpler patterns will help you get comfortable crocheting, as well as reading through patterns.

Tip#6: Don't be afraid to ask for help.
  If you find yourself hung up on a stitch, a chart, a pattern, etc. don't be afraid to ask your fellow crocheters. The crocheting community is such a great resource to ask for help, inspiration, vent about a failing project or boast about a completed work of art. If you find yourself a little shy to ask YouTube is a wonderful asset to the learning crocheter.

Have a Blessed Day
Lexy

P.S. Just one more Tip. Keep track of your stitches. Especially and the beginning and the end of the rows.
P.S.S. Do you have any tips you would like to share? Leave them in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment