Saturday, July 12, 2014

When I sell my crochet I feel...

  I hope you are all having a great Saturday!

  If you have read my About Me section, then you have read why I started to crochet.  And if you read my blog post from July 10, 2014 then you know what inspired me to start selling my crochet. But how does it make me feel to actually sell my crochet?

  Crocheting is not just a ball of yarn and a hook in the hands of little old ladies in rocking chairs spying on the comings and goings of the neighborhood. Crochet is done by mothers, daughters, friends and even some husbands. Crochet is a way of life for some of us. A release or escape from the daily grind. It is a stress reliever and an addiction. But most of all Crochet is a labor of love.

  When I crochet I try to put all of my love into each piece. A part of my heart goes into every item I make. That item becomes a part of my life from the time I start making it to the time I drop it in the mail, sending it to it's new home. It is almost like having another child or another arm. There are mistakes made along the way. Some I can just breath through, while others make me go absolutely insane. And the really big ones make me fell like a total failure. But I keep plugging away at this twisted passion, all along feeling insecure about if the receiver; customer, friend or family member, will like it. Will it be all they hoped it would be? Will they think it was worth the wait or what they paid? Or will they be utterly dissatisfied?

  When I finally fasten off my yarn for the last time, I hold it up, give it a good look over, and feel my self getting even more nervous. I question everything about it. Is it long enough, wide enough, the right colors? Then, once I have convinced myself it's done either way, I wrap it in pretty paper and hold my breath as I seal the envelop.  And I don't breath a sigh of relief until I know it has made it safely to the new owner and they let me know they love it.

  So you could say that, when I sell my crochet, I feel a roller coaster of emotions. But just like being a mother, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I absolutely love making quality handmade gifts for others to enjoy. It makes me feel worthy of the art. Crazy lady emotions and all.

Have a Blessed Day
Lexy

P.S. Do you crochet? Do you sell your crochet? How do you feel when you sell something?
Share it in the comments below.

1 comment:

  1. This is great I feel the same way. I love my crochet and a piece of me in stitched into every item I design. And maybe that is why I worry, that it is not perfectly made. I am my worst critic. But each item it is filled with so much care, love, and healing that I just know must love it as much as I loved making it.

    ReplyDelete