Wednesday, July 16, 2014

HELP....: Don't be shy. Just ask.


  Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  Have you ever had a roadblock when it came to crocheting? You just wanted to scream for help at the top of your lungs?  Weather it's that you are having crochet block, or you are stuck on a 'probably simple enough' pattern and can't quite put tow and two together, it can get pretty aggravating, even discouraging. But don't give up. Sound the alarms. light up the Bat signal.

  I know it can be a little scary asking for help but when you are stuck you are stuck. And you're not gonna get unstuck without a little help. After all, if you have AAA and run out of gas or get stuck in the mud you aren't just gonna sit there, right?

  The crochet community is a wonderful place of men and women who all love the same thing. We share in our passion for taking a ball of yarn and turning it into something beautiful. Some follow patterns and some create brand new patterns on their own. Some have been crocheting for years and some only for days. But we all come together to share in our joys and woes of our common love. And where there is community there are those willing to help.

  But how do I ask complete strangers for help? Won't they be annoyed? What if it's a silly question? How do I open the conversation? Where do I start looking for someone to ask for help? What if I am to scared to ask others for help?

  First, let me start by saying that, if you need any help at all on your walk with the crochet, my door is always open. There is a Contact Me box on the right hand side of the blog. Feel free to post any questions there and I will get back to you as soon as I can with the best answer I know how. If I don't know the answer I will do my best to help you find one.

  Next let me say that no question is to silly. Yes you can ask complete strangers for help. I hope you never run into someone who finds it annoying and if you do steer clear of them for future questions. And the best way to open the conversation is to just ask the question. Because perspective is different for everyone, if you can provide screen shots or some other form of imagery, without infringing on any copy rights, it will help a great deal in getting you the best answer.

  If you are on Facebook or G+, I suggest joining a crochet group. One that focuses on community, sharing, helping and building each other up. These groups are designed to help us all grow as artisans. And if you find a really good one you will find it ever so comfortable to ask even the silliest questions without fear of mockery. You could also find a local group or craft store to see if they are having classes or private sessions that would be helpful to you.

  And if you are just to scared to ask others for help Google is your best friend. Google search your question. I would avoid any links to Ask.com or Answer.com. Those are often confusing or unanswered. Because I often have an idea of what I'm looking for, I like to Google Search and then click on the Image link to leaf through the images. If I am having an issue with a pattern or a stitch I like to do Google Search and then click on the Video link to find a good tutorial. These are some of the best ways to get answers. There is nothing left for misunderstanding and it's a great tool for hands on learners, such as myself.

  Do you have any tips for those looking for help with their crochet dilemmas? Post it in a comment.

  Have a Blessed Day
  Lexy

No comments:

Post a Comment